Monday 15 June 2015

resistance - How can I make 20-200 ohm variable resistor look like a 20-240 ohm resistor?


I have a fuel sender in my kit car that goes from 20R to earth (full) to 200R (empty). Unfortunately the gauge (constant current source, measuring resistance to earth?) expects empty to be 240 ohms, so displays '1/4 full' when empty. What is the simplest analogue way to make 20-200R look like 20-240R?


(40R in series gives a full tank showing '3/4 full' on the dial: Still not ideal!).




So, a great suggestion from Transistor (below). I think I'll change R4 in his/her Figure 1 to a constant current source since car volts can vary quite a lot!



enter image description here


I believe the value for R3 (above) will be fairly independent of the transistor specs?


Update: Yes, this works nicely, gauge now goes from full to zero. I put R3 on a little trimmer - 720R for 1.6mA. Many thanks transistor!




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...