Wednesday 3 June 2015

arduino - Power supply fluctuations. Bypass capacitor needed?


I am powering up a 5V device using a 12v DC 1A SMPS power supply. The 12V supply is connected to the 5V device through a 7805 voltage regulator. The device draws about 30mA when idle, but when it transmits a signal it draws about 100mA to 115mA.



When the device is about to transmit the signal, the input voltage of the device drops below the minimum voltage required for the device to function (3V DC). This is caying the device to restart. I am guessing this is because the 12V power supply is unable to keep up with the sudden power requirement.


Do I need a bypass capacitor? If so what rating capacitor should I use and where do I place it (near the input of the 5Vdc device, near the output of the 12Vdc power supply, or at the input of the 7805 voltage regulator?)




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...