Sunday 1 March 2015

switches - How do I build a switch to automatically control my shop-vac?


I'm starting to get into woodworking and I've run across some high-end dust collectors and shop vacuums that turn on automatically a second after the tool plugged into them (such as a table saw) is turned on. When the tool is turned off, the vacuum stays on for a few seconds longer, then shuts off automatically. There are also aftermarket switches like the iVac that do the same thing.


It seems like I would need a normally-open 120V relay to turn on the the shop vac, but how do I delay turning on the vacuum, then make it stay on for a few seconds longer after I turn off the tool?



Answer



Electrically it's easy.
But, doing it for less that the $45 iVac would be hard.

Cost your labour at $0.10/hour and no problem. Parts cost of electronics is modest.


Here is a word picture of how you might do it.
I won't add a circuit diagram as I don't really think this is advisable given what is available.


This operates at say about 12 VDC. Whole thing could be done at mains voltage. Usues relays. Could be wholly sold state.


Mains to 10 VAC or so transformer. Supplied from saw power feed.


Rectify 10 VAC to DC and regulate to say 12V DC.


Provide "mains on" signal for one diode connected to 10 VAC upstream of main rectifier.


When 12 VAC appears a capacitor is charged via a diode and a resistor R1from "mains-on". Charge time ~~= R1 x C.


When "mains-on" disappears the capacitor is discharged via a second diode and a second resistor R2. Charge time ~~= R2 x C.


Adjust R1 and R2 to suit desired times.



Drive a MOSFET gate from capacitor so it is turned on ~R1C after mains-on and off R2C after mainson disappears.


Operate relay for vacuum from MOSFET.
relay is 12 VDC and 12 VDC supply must hold up long enough to keep relay held in for vacuum to post operate. There are other ways.


QED


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...