Monday 2 March 2015

Bug in Keil ARM compiler with interrupt handlers and C++?


I have a problem with writing interrupt handlers in Keil ARM compiler for LPC1114. When I write program in C++ and specify --cpp compiler option all code from interrupt handlers disappears, it is replaced with infinite loop. I wrote simple program that illustrates my trouble.


#include "LPC11xx.h"           // LPC11xx definitions
#define SYSTICK_DELAY 120000 // for 10 ms systick @ 12MHz osc

void SysTick_Handler(void)
{

__NOP();
}

int main (void)
{
SystemInit(); // from system_LPC11xx.c
SysTick_Config(SYSTICK_DELAY); // from core_cm0.h
// Loop forever
while (1) __NOP();
}


When trying to compile this code with --cpp compiler option I get infinite loop in disasm:


SysTick_Handler PROC
EXPORT SysTick_Handler [WEAK]
B .
ENDP

This is the place where __NOP() from above program must be. And it is there when I'm compiling code with --c99 compiler option or without additional options. Keil MDK version is 4.12. Can anyone tell me is there any solution or workaround ?



Answer



The "weak" reference just means that the routine will be replaced by a routine in your code of the same name. When using C this is simple, the names will always be identical but C++ name mangles the functions (for function overloading etc) so the compiled name will probably not match the default ISR name. You need to wrap the function (or at least a forward reference, I'm not sure of specifics I mostly work in C) in an extern "C" wrapper to force the compiler to not mangle the name.



extern "C" {
void SysTick_Handler(void)
{
// do whatever
}
}

No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...