Saturday 20 October 2018

arduino - Resistors in series with Tx and Rx


I'm making my own board and using an ATmega 328 with the Arduino bootloader. I have a DIP switch to select either an FTDI chip (for programming) to be connected to the ATMega's Rx and Tx, or a GPS that outputs serial to be connected. I was looking at this schematic for reference: http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoNano30Schematic.pdf


Why are there 2 resistors on Rx and Tx coming from the ATMega? Do I need those just for the connection to the FTDI chip, or do they need to be there for the GPS too?



Answer



One of them is there to prevent damage that could occur if the AVR has RxD programmed as an output, pins on both devices could be damaged if that happened as AVR pins can source and sink quite a lot of current. I don't think that the other resistor is necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...