Tuesday 15 September 2015

pcb design - PCB - trace width



In general how do you decide what trace width to use?


I prepared a PCB layout with the trace width mainly 0.4064 mm and couple of them are 0.3048 mm. power ratings are 5V , 12V at max 0.4A. What would be the smallest trace width that would be fine with that ratings?


I am going to have a trace for a power unit. I will connect the outlet supply (220-240V), what trace width would you recommend for it?



Answer



There are IPC standard calculations for trace widths based upon current draw. (IPC-2221)


These take into account freq, temperature rise, what layers of the board the traces are and many other factors.


There are many web calculators out there - http://circuitcalculator.com/wordpress/?p=25/



My absolute favorite tool for calculating many of the variables in pcb design is a free tool from Saturn PCB. It is free and I am not associated with them in any way.


This tool is great and will answer all your questions from above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...