Thursday 10 September 2015

high frequency - Am I insane to question that only with a closed path can electrons move?


First of all let me just state that I do not feel confident enough to tell anyone anything about how electric circuits work or anything about the physics behind them because I simply do not know or understand it all.


But I have many times read that there has to be a closed path for current to flow in a circuit, leading to a fact that if there isn't a closed conductive loop nothing can happen.


And I have taken that to be a definitive truth, but I wonder about something(and I might just as well be terribly far of the path of reason here).


If I was to design a circuit board which contains traces through which very high frequency signals(currents) will flow then I have to consider things like signal reflections, I don't know what reflections consists of in purely physical terms(but I have to imagine that a reflected signal is a certain amount of the current(s) that was originally sent through the trace) but apparently if I send a high-frequency signal down a trace(or wire) then under certain conditions the signal can travel down the trace(wire) only to bounce off of something and then travel all the way back to where it first came from. Where it might bounce off of something again and so it can bounce back and forth travelling the length of the trace over and over again getting smaller and smaller until it dies out.


This is just stuff from the top of my head, stuff that I have never acquired a fair understanding of in the first place. But if we restrict the scenario to this very high frequency situation, if a signal or current can be reflected back towards where it came then why would it even have to be relevant whether there are a closed loop or not.


Couldn't a broken loop present paths for such currents to bounce around in?


I know that I am at a relatively very low level of insight into these complex matters but I don't now why that wouldn't be possible. I would be very happy if anyone could enlighten me.



I have one single hypothesis without anything what so ever to support it, but perhaps the very high frequency scenario alters the way that a traces copper is utilized so that it in some respect is a closed loop in it self?



Answer



You are completely right.


The "closed loop" rule comes from a simplification that we often use in circuit analysis called the "lumped component model". This model provides a good approximation to actual circuit behavior at DC and low frequencies, where the effects of parasitic inductance, capacitance and the speed of light can be ignored.


However, these factors become significant at high frequencies and can no longer be ignored. Any circuit of nonzero size has inductance and capacitance, and is capable of radiating (or receiving) an electromagnetic wave. This is why radio works at all.


Once you start considering parasitic capacitances, you'll discover that everything is connected to pretty much everything else (moreso to nearby objects), and there are closed loops where you wouldn't normally expect to find them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...