Wednesday 30 September 2015

Ethernet UDP diode


I want to create a device of some sort where I am absolutely positive that only UDP traffic can pass one way. Of course I could setup whatever old router I might have, the thing is I want to make it as small as possible and with as little power consumption as needed. What components could or should I use for such an application?



Answer



You need a device with two ethernet ports and filtering capability. Such as an advanced router. Or if you posses the ability to program it, a micro-controller with two Ethernet interfaces or two interface chips and a lot software work.


UDP is a principle that has to be filtered out by a level of package inspection at least, at any lower level it's just bits passing through.


A router "certified" for UDP package filtering (there are plenty, if you pay attention) is probably the more affordable ready-made option you have, where you only need to click a few check boxes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...