Wednesday 1 July 2015

reflow - DIY BGA soldering feasability



BGA seems to be somewhat of a showstopper for the diy community, especially with the newer more powerful parts being almost exclusively bga. I know it can be done with the skillet/toaster oven method, but it seems like there is no way of inspecting for defects without an x-ray machine except for maybe this method using toothbrush bristles. So is reflowing using these methods relatively high yielding or is this just not worth doing at home?



Answer



I've heard of people doing it successfully, so it can be done, with some care and the right equipment. When the solder paste melts the chip aligns itself better than a fine-pitch QFP, so it can actually be easier than the latter. I'd be happier about doing it with an FPGA, as any missing connections could be corrected by rerouting the signals. The PCB has to be properly designed, of course.


I'd start with a QFN chip, they have some similarities to a BGA. If that works, I'd have some confidence that a BGA would be successful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...