Sunday 12 July 2015

multiplexer - Controlling 500 LEDs with PWM


I'm considering taking on a project that would involve individually addressing 500 LEDs, optimally with PWM support for each.


I'm planning on using an Arduino since I already have one, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone thinks a different platform would be a better match.


Shift registers would need to be employed. What is a good shift register to use in this situation? If PWM makes this project a lot more expensive, I'm alright to do without it. I want to try to spend less than $100. I'd bulk buy 500 LEDs off ebay.


What is your opinion on the best way to control such a large number of LEDs? Also, how would I go about providing the power? I'd appreciate any help. I'm fairly experienced with electronics, I've just never done anything on such a large scale.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...