Saturday 18 July 2015

component selection - Choosing capacitors for Microwave RF application


I've recently been given a project to lay out some PCBs which will contain a few Mini-Circuits RF amplifiers, and their associated biasing components. However, since I need to have several stages of amplification, I need inter-stage AC coupling to prevent the bias from each amplifier affecting the other amplifiers in the chain.


That said, I basically therefore need to chose series capacitors for coupling signals in the ~1.420 GHz range, and I do not really have the experience to know what I should specifically be looking for in terms of specifications.


I know I need capacitors with high Q, and probably X7R or NP0, ideally low insertion losses (S21), but I'm really feeling my lack of experience and knowledge in RF when digging through datasheets.


What are the relevant considerations for choosing parts for this kind of application?





No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...