Monday 9 February 2015

pcb - What's the simplest Linux capable board I could make at home?


I'd like to make a single board computer capable of booting Linux, with my low-tech garage tools (2 sided PCBs, reflow skillet, no plating through holes).


What's the simplest hardware design I could choose?


Are there any microcontrollers with enough onboard flash/RAM to run Linux/uCLinux?



Answer



I'd like to see this too, but my gut instinct is to say "maybe, but it's a lot of work". Even the smallest Linux distro is going to need around a megabyte of RAM to run. This means at least 30 or so additional pins for the RAM controller in the microcontroller, and a couple of big RAM chips.


One of the simplest architectures I know that has Linux for it is the Atmel AVR32 series of parts. The smallest, the AT32UC3A0128 comes in a relatively hacker-friendly 100-pin TQFP package. This is at least amenable to hand-soldering, unlike most of the OS-capable embedded microcontrollers that come in BGA packages. (the chips that have the little solder balls underneath them) You can get an idea as to the complexity of a circuit using that chip by examining the EVK1100 eval board.



No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...