Saturday 28 February 2015

microcontroller - transmitting 5v signal over a long cable


I'm seeking for help here as I need a reliable answer to this. I need to get an input signal (low frequency 5v digital pulse), to a micro-controller from a (proximity) sensor situated in a distance from the control board.


I'll itemize the important points.




  • Max Tx distance : 50 m

  • Max digital pulse frequency : 10 Hz

  • Voltage range of the sensor : 5 to 30 v (it outputs the same voltage as supplied)

  • Max input to micro-controller : 5 v


For a simple, similar application, this is what I've done before; the sensor is supplied with 12 v. At the other end, the pulse (which now is 0-12v) is fed to the micro-controller through a 7805 regulator. That worked fine, but someone told me that method is not nice and not suited for reliable applications. I also feel that's ugly but i don't expect to mess around a lot with hardware, building separate circuitry etc... Can someone propose any better solution (or agree with mine :D).


I prefer a lot if i don't have to build any circuitry at all. If not possible, at least very simple one!(simple in the sense of hardware complexity. a circuit that don't need a PCB, just two wires here and there. That's why I love 7805 solution). However (unfortunately) the highest priority has to be given for reliability.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...