Sunday 16 March 2014

Is there a formula to determine the size of decoupling capacitors?



I have used many decoupling capacitors in circuits and have seen them in many textbooks, but they never give an explanation about why they picked a certain size of capacitor. Everyone seems to have a "rule" about the size that they picked up along the way.


But is there an actual formula that dictates what size of decoupling capacitor to use? If not, are there some mathematics and physics that I could be pointed to to develop something more rigorous than a rule of thumb?



Many people have said that the size is not always critical, but I imagine there is a point at which changing the size would cause the circuit to fail or at least degrade. I would like to know what this critical point is, determining the bare minimum case, etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...