Friday 8 November 2019

Why do brushless motors have a kv rating?


I am wondering why brushless motors, such as ones used for quadrotors, have a kv rating, which supposedly means RPM per voltage across the motor. So a 2300 kv motor spins at 2300 rpm if "1 volt is applied" to it.


The part in parenthesis does not make sense to me. An ESC generates 3 phase AC current. And from what I understand the frequency of the AC waveform completely determines motor speed, and the amplitude (peak voltage minus trough voltage) of the waveform is more or less constant. To me this seems like voltage really has nothing to do with determining the speed of a brushless motor.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...