Wednesday 20 December 2017

ac - Measuring Voltage of Unknown Type


My circuit is almost identical to the Wikipedia but with 5V in, 1pF cap, 4 pieces of IN4004 diodes. I am not certain whether it is AC or DC here and there (actually I do but not want to break my multimeter). Is there some safe way to test its type? My multimeter has only separate modes for AC and DC but not a common mode for both of them. So how to find out unknown voltage type?



Answer



If you set your multimeter to DC(V) and then measure an AC(V) it will not cause damage, neither will the opposite.


If you measure it with both, and one says 5 V, then that is what signal you have. 5V AC wave will not be anything on DC measurement, but will be 5V with AC turned on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...