Wednesday 13 December 2017

microcontroller - Number of PWM pins on STM32F072


Microcontroller datasheet


I am in the process of selecting a micro controller for a project where I need a lot of PWM pins (around 30) for LEDs. I'd prefer hardware supported PWM so that my CPU is free for other tasks but it's not a necessity if it can be done comfortably on software side as well. 100 Hz PWM frequency should work for the LEDs and I won't be needing more than 8 brightness levels.


I have narrowed down on STM32F072V8T6 (100 pin LQFP) which has 87 GPIO and other features (like capacitive touch sensing and rtc with Vbat pin) that I require for my project.


Going through the datasheet, I am not able to figure out how many PWM pins can I get out of it (I come from arduino background where no. of PWM pins are mentioned directly). I found a small note saying - "One 16-bit advanced-control timer for six-channel PWM output"


Does that mean I can have only 6 PWM pins?


If this is the really the case, what are my other cheap alternatives to get as many PWM outputs? I saw some PWM output port expanders which communicate over i2c but the cost seems too high.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...