Thursday 21 December 2017

capacitor - Why do farads multiplied by ohms produce a result that has a unit of seconds?


Why is the time constant (RC) measured in seconds even though the units are farads x ohms?



This is to fulfill my own curiosity as I haven't had much luck at finding the answer. I would be most grateful if someone could give me a solid answer or send me in the right direction.



Answer



It's the way the units work out.


Broken down to its form in SI units, a volt is


$$\mathrm{V = \frac{kg \cdot m^2}{A \cdot s^3}}$$


where A is amperes. So, when you divide by current to get ohms, you see that


$$ \Omega = \mathrm{\frac{kg \cdot m^2}{A^2\cdot s^3}}$$


A farad is:


$$ \mathrm{F=\frac{s^4 \cdot A^2}{m^2 \cdot kg}} $$


So when you multiply Ohms by Farads, you're left with seconds:



$$ \Omega \cdot \mathrm{F = \frac{kg \cdot m^2}{A^2\cdot s^3} \cdot \frac{s^4 \cdot A^2}{m^2 \cdot kg} = s} $$


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...