Tuesday 26 May 2015

power - Best method to route high current PCB with in a tight space constraint



I was wondering if someone can give me advice in routing this PCB.


enter image description here


The PCB contains several triacs driving AC loads and digital end which contains a micro and several digital I/Os. So far, I have decided on the following:



  • Use 18 AWG wire to connect the LIVE via the spade terminals.

  • Use 5oz copper on the top layer to reduce the track width for the high current tracks for triac output to AC load spade terminal.

  • Solder Y caps underneath the board with insulation and hot melt glue.

  • Use 4 layers

  • First layer contains AC tracks on the mains side and DC signal tracks on the digital side.

  • Second layer contains ground layer on the digital side with some signals.


  • Third layer contains digital VCC layer on the digital side with some signals.

  • Fourth layer contains signals on digital and secondary voltage from the transformer.


I have few constraints in the design like the placements of the headers and AC spade terminals cannot be modified plus the board size cannot be changed. I have placed the heatsink/triacs and spade terminals so I can route the signal tracks to the optocouplers and secondary output of the transformer via the middle of the PCB. I am trying to ensure there is a least 2.5mm separation for the AC tracks.


Do anyone see any issues or problems with this layout or have any suggestions?


Regards Paul



Answer



On 15A/230V you need 2mm track width and 2mm of clearances (5Oz/ft2 Cu and 20*C temperature rise).


Although, IMO, using 0.2mm copper PCB is pretty over engineered. The same results can be reached with more careful trace design.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...