Monday 29 December 2014

rf - What is the bandwidth of an antenna ? and what happens when a narrow bandwidth is used?


I'm trying to understand the bandwidth of an antenna in order to choose the right one for my next project which involves a Nordic 2.4GHz radio transceiver (NRF24 series) that operates from 2400MHz to 2525MHz.


According to this



The bandwidth of an antenna is the range of frequencies over which it operates



I assumed this meant the higher frequency - lower frequency = the bandwidth, however, the datasheet of the 2.4GHz chip antenna used frequently with this chip, says it has a bandwidth of 180MHz, but the operating frequency range is 2400Mhz to 2488Mhz! if my assumption is correct, shouldn't it be 2580MHz (2400+180) ?


Also, if the higher frequency is 2488Mhz does this mean the antenna wouldn't radiate optimally if the radio is set to a channel over 2488Mhz or does it mean that it wouldn't radiate at all?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...