Friday 24 October 2014

Is it possible to physically destroy a microcontroller with software?


Assumptions:



  • No external circuitry connected (other than the programming circuit, which we assume to be correct).


  • uC is not faulty.

  • By destroying I mean releasing the blue smoke of death, not bricking it in software.

  • It's a "normal" uC. Not some very weird 1-in-a-million very purpose specific device.


Has anyone ever seen something like that happen? How is it possible?


Background:


A speaker of a meetup I assisted to said it was possible (and not even that hard) to do this, and some other people agreed with him. I have never seen this happen, and when I asked them how it was possible, I didn't get a real answer. I'm really curious now, and I'd love to get some feedback.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...