Thursday 11 September 2014

diodes - What is the difference between "reverse stand off voltage" and "breakdown voltage" on a TVS?


On a transient voltage suppressor, let's take a unidirectional Fairchild P6KE11A for example, what is the main difference between reverse stand off voltage (\$V_{RWM}\$) and breakdown voltage (\$V_{BR}\$) as shown on the chart on page 2?


In my experiments with this part in reverse bias, it begins to conduct just at 10.65V. This is within the \$V_{BR}\$ range of 10.5 to 11.6. I think I understand that the \$V_{BR}\$ range is what I might expect from one particular P6KE11A to another, but of what use is the reverse stand off voltage?



Answer



According to this


"Maximum reverse standoff voltage: the voltage below which no significant conduction occurs" "Breakdown voltage: the voltage at which some specified and significant conduction occurs"


This appnote explains


"The TVS breakdown voltage is usually 10 % above the reverse standoff voltage (VR)..."



No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...