Wednesday 4 June 2014

supercapacitor - Super Capacitor Charge and Discharge Circuit


I am working on adding a super-capacitor to one of my 5V lines. Foolishly I tried adding the super-capacitor directly to the 5V line, but it over stresses my regulator to charge it all at once.


I am trying to design a very simple charging/ discharging circuit. Would this be the proper way to charge a large (2.2F 5.5V) super-capacitor?



enter image description here



Answer



What you have will work, although D12 is pointless. The problem is that when the cap is discharging onto the 5 V line, there will be a drop across D13. Using a Schottky as you show is a good idea, but the drop will still be around 1/4 volt. Another problem is that the voltage will go lower over time with the amount of charge drained from the cap.


You might consider putting the energy backup capacity before the power supply. That might allow the stored energy to be used more efficiently, and the voltage will stay regulated for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...