Tuesday 7 April 2015

amplifier - Another question concerning transistors


I know it's been asked 1,000,000 times how/what/why transistors work and I feel like I've read every answer but I still struggle with the basics. The struggle for me is the difference between transistors for switching and transistors for amplifying.


For switching, I gather that the base needs a certain voltage to allow the current to travel through. Say the voltage required is 1.5 volts and you give it 15 volts, does that affect the current between the collector and emitter?


For amplifying... Can only specific transistors amplify and specific ones switch? Also, one of my biggest challenges is grasping exactly how it's amplifying because it feels like something from nothing. I guess a good example logically is an electric guitar. You have a low voltage signal from the guitar and a high current feed to amplify it. Now are you using the power of your high current feed and in a sense mixing it in with you guitar signal to boost it? Also, if you had a pot to adjust the signal amplification, what exactly would you be adjusting, the current or voltage supplied.


Lastly I read that you can increase voltage and current with a transistor. Is this only in the case that the supply is of greater voltage and current that the signal being amplified? Is it possible to increase voltage and current above that of any of the supplies?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...