Tuesday 28 January 2014

shielding - Grounding PCB to enclosure


I am designing a small sensor which fits into a custom aluminum enclosure. The sensor uses CAN bus and a long cable to connect it to the host and power. The shield of the cable will ground the enclosure through the connector.


Sensor


While developing the sensor I realized how important it is to ground the enclosure, otherwise my ADC readings are more noisy.


Now my dilemma is that if my costumers forget to ground the shield or use a shielded cable (which they will) the performance will be poor, as the enclosure will be left floating.


Connecting the power ground to the enclosure (shield) inside also seems like a bad idea as this creates a ground loop.


Is there any way I can get around this problem? An AC coupled shield?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...